Today’s the day we celebrate our planet, Earth! First started in
1970, Earth Day has grown into a worldwide celebration and reminder of
the important environmental protections. Our planet is at a turning point.
Over the next 25 years, the right changes will be the catalyst for dramatic
changes in the environment, the fight against carbon emissions and climate
change. In the spirit of conservation and environmental awareness, here
are some tips for embracing our world.
- Go around the house and inspect each faucet and shower for dripping or leaking.
- Test for leaks in your toilet. Put a few drops of food coloring in the
toilet tank. Wait a few minutes, then check the toilet bowl. If you see
color in the bowl, it means that the toilet is leaking.
- Your water heater should never be higher than 120 degrees. Lowering the
setting will help reduce the amount of energy used.
- Check the age of your water heater. If it’s older than 11 years old,
consider upgrading to a new, energy-efficient model.
- Inspect the water supply hoses to your dishwasher, ice maker and washing
machine. If those hoses have bulges or cracks, they should be replaced.
- Run your dishwasher and washing machine only when they’re full.
- Water the lawn or garden during the coolest part of the day.
- Don’t let the water run while shaving or while brushing your teeth.
These are some ideas to help get you started. The more awareness of our
water usage we bring to Earth Day, the more we can help keep our planet
a nice place to live!
From all of us here at bluefrog Plumbing + Drain™, happy Earth Day!